Melodramatic WLT in real life? No way.
I have some unique (read: weird) guy friends I hang out with. They range from the young to the fairly middle-aged ones, from the really “macho man” (read: MCP) to the ultimate gentlemen. As guys we’d do the usual stuff, you know… play sports, hit the bars, hit on the occasional gorgeous babe (‘scuse me ladies, but yah..) or just hang out and discuss utterly ridiculous & hilarious topics
Anyway, the guy I wanna bring to attention today is this fella whom I’ll refer to as the footballer. Somehow, lately I’ve been hanging out with him quite a bit. It’s a bit of a change from the regular boys, i.e. old man & flyboy. Well, we hang out for coffee and a smoke (yes goddess… I’ve succumbed again... stress, you see?) at the office and sometimes at the mamak hangout.
If some of you can recall, I mentioned sometime back about how Chinese TV serials (i.e. soap operas) are incredibly melodramatic. Last nite I was given a new spin on these serials and why this certain footballer watches them regularly. In fact, not just regularly, if you ask me, it’s bordering on religiously. I mean he stays up till 3am to catch it on a weekday!
For one, I’m stumped that he watches these super melodramatic TV serials, but the one that takes the cake is his revelation that he watches it in the belief that what he sees on TV can become true and events/actions therein can be used in real life! It’s his belief that in the end, the good guy will get the girl. The selfless sacrifice and romantic overtures will win over the love of whichever girl in question. He believes that if he was ever put in a similar situation as in one of the dramas, and if he replicated the actions of the underdog or good guy on TV, he will, like the fella on TV, win over the girl… yes girls, he is still single… :-D
Believe you me I was dumbfounded. If I wasn’t in a car, I’d have fallen off my chair and doubled over in stitches! I think at this point, let me apologise to whomever of you reading this and does indeed watch Wah Lai Toi. My take on this… The good guy will not always get the girl in the end. If she’s seeing this other bloke (let’s call him the bad boy as referred to by the footballer) and he’s not as romantic as the good guy, doesn’t appreciate the girl’s love and affections, she’s not gonna fall head over heels for the good guy just cos he brings her to their spot on the beach and lights a fireworks display all for her trying to cheer her up after a little spat with the bad boy on her birthday. All the good guy’s selfless sacrifice and hidden feelings will all just end up in angst. If she's not into the good guy, she's just not into him, hopeless romantic, selfless or otherwise!
No, it won’t happen, and no, you can’t use that… for one, she wouldn’t be at a beach with the good guy on her birthday and regardless how the good guy feels for her, if she’s so into the bad boy, well… the good guy’s just outta luck. The girl’s not gonna snap out of it just like that and realize that the good guy was meant for her all the while.
Besides, if you did replicate those actions, picture this… there will be these blokes in dark blue uniforms stepping out of their white cars and asking, wtf are you doing and demanding you buy them potloads of coffee for the rest of their lives or they’ll haul you and the lady off to some lovely romantic cell. Besides, there ain’t no decent beaches around here that you could do that at anyways! Hilarious, but highly entertaining this footballer.



<< Home