Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Fast n Furious

Last weekend, I was drafted in as a replacement driver for John King's Fast n Furious team in the 3rd round of my-kart's Mega Endurance Kart race. The event took place at the Sepang kart track on Saturday the 17th.


I was a member of my-kart when it was first formed several years ago, but since then, my passion and interest in karting had long since waned. What else is new, right? On top of that, I've been steadily slipping back in the sports club' championship for the past 2 years. So much that I've now been relegated from premier to the 2nd tier of drivers a.k.a beginners and slow pokes. Imagine my surprise when I was approached by JK to drive for his team in the 100cc kart endurance race. With the boys off partying in Miri and having no other mischief planned for the weekend, I jumped in.

Saturday came and I was up by 0630am! OMG! I don't wake up that early on a working weekday but I was up. We were at the track by 0800am and I was soon reminded why I sort of lost interest in karting... you spend more than half the time sitting around waiting for one thing or other. And when you finally got to drive, it's over in 10-15 mins!

Anyway, the race involved amateur karting enthusiasts from all over KL and even had a team from Singapore. It's a 100 minute endurance race with 4 drivers to a team. The compulsory driver changes came between 20-30 mins, 45-55 mins and 70-80 mins. I was down as the 3rd driver in my team.

Now, JK knows quite well that I had lost interest in karting as well, but he's always out to have fun and to win. With his usual drivers not being available, it was up to me to fill the gap. So his words of encouragement might have been that, but to me it was pure and simply additional stress and pressure. By the time I got into the kart and out on my practice laps, I was fairly nervous. Now, I'm typically confident of myself, but this time I was apprehensive. I'd not raced 100ccs in more than a year and have not been doing well when I was. In fact, the last time I took part in an endurance race in Sepang, my team came in 4th and that was because of me ending up on top of another kart right at the very 1st corner of the 1st lap!

But when you race for John King, you've gotta give it all, not screw up and try for a win, nothing less. Added to this was the fact that everyone else on the team was posting less than 60s per lap. The other teams were averaging 60s. I had no idea what my times were. Right before I was to go out, one of the karts' brakes failed and the driver smacked right into the tire walls. Great, what a confidence booster. So my practice laps ended up in slow traffic. Even so, when I checked my times, it was promising. Nowhere near the 56/57s the other guys were posting, but at least it was in the sub-60s.

After the practice laps, came more waiting. By the time the race got underway, it was well past noon. The team started from 9th place, as Risman reeled in the teams by posting 56s laps. John was up next, jumping into the kart without his gloves as Risman misunderstood and came in early. Keeping up the pace, John posted 57s laps. When my turn came, the team was well in contention, either in the lead or a close 2nd place. Apprehension, apprehension, apprehension.

All the apprehension and nervousness went right out the door once I was in the seat and up to speed. I just kept John's advice in mind. Stay out of trouble, keep to the lines and have fun. We had to re-fuel during my change and may have cost us the lead and some lost time. Once on the track, it was my turn to reel the lead team in as I clocked in 57s laps. Lap in, lap out, it was brake, corner, apex and accelerate. Easy peasy. Why was I so damned nervous earlier? Being one of the top drivers previously, I averaged 57sec laps as well back then, and still do now. *shrug*

Once I handed over to Shahnaz, it was a done deal. Within moments, lapping at 56s, he was right up and past the leader effortlessly. Towards the end, a little drama developed as both the 1st and 2nd placed teams broke down. Fortunately for team Fast n Furious, our breakdown came right at the 100minute mark. We won by 3 laps, driving in a total of 101 laps to Gila Racing's 98.

In the end, I enjoyed myself and left with my confidence restored, but of course... I mean we won, right? Anyway, I realised I was wrong in the beginning, the pressure to win, do well and not screw up was not from JK or from driving for his team. It was simply another aspect of my life that had changed recently. I lost confidence in myself. I've been ignoring and keeping away from the things I enjoy and do well in. Because of that, I lost confidence and wallowed. But when it came down to it, things worked out as usual.

Will I re-kindle my passion and interest in karting? Not likely... it's not quite passe but is an old activity. I'll not likely give it up totally, but bring on the new ones! *grin*

The team won and I contributed. More importantly, I had fun. Here's what my-kart had to say about
Fast n Furious' win and some photos. Oh yeah... one final thing... my first karting trophy since 2003... =D



counter statistics Free Website Counter