It's Mid-Autumn
I am Chinese… Chinese Malaysian for the anal, but yeah, Chinese. Well, that’s what jumps out at you when you look at me. I am Chinese in blood and name. But having been brought up all over the world, I’m not your typical Chinese. I can’t speak or read a word of mandarin, and I can’t write my name in Chinese. When I make that statement, I usually get this look of disdain and eyes roll back, etc… but do I look like I care?
So, I come into the office this morning and I find a mooncake on my desk, with a message, happy mooncake festival. Cool, I haven’t had breakfast… then I realize it’s white lotus with a single yolk… yucks. Anyway, after a quick investigation, I find out who’d left it there for me and courteously send my thanks. The reply was “you’re welcome, happy mooncake festival in advance.” In advance?
Right, after eyeballs roll and heads shake, I find out that the Mooncake festival, or Mid-Autumn festival is on Sunday. After some googling and reading, I have this story on the mooncake.
The story of the Mooncake.
The mooncake, a customary gift during the Mid-Autumn Festival, made its first appearance in
Chinese history during the Yuan Dynasty.
For almost a century, the people of China had suffered dire times under oppressive Mongol rule. Until the mooncake came to the rescue.
In 1368, in an effort to overthrow the Mongols, the Chinese baked hundreds of little moon shaped cakes during the Moon festival.
However they contained an altogether different filling from the white lotus or red bean enjoyed today.
Inside were messages that were secretly circulated among family and friends, inciting them
to join an impending rebellion.
Dismissing the innocent looking mooncakes as part of the festivities, the Mongols were taken completely by surprise by a well planned rebellion. And the infamous Mongol Yuan Dynasty came to a humiliating end.
Every Moon festival since, mooncakes have been exchanged and enjoyed to mark the occasion.
Happy Mid-Autumn’s Festival… in advance. Advance notice expires Sunday, 18 Sep.



<< Home