Am I really a people person?
I’m what you’d call a people person cos I get along with a lot of people… or at least I think I do. The thing is, I just love to socialize. I need people around me. Maybe it’s cos I live on my own basically. Because of that, during my waking hours, I prefer to be around people cos I get plenty of time to be on my own? I love people watching and I love conversations… I can strike up a conversation with any stranger that will smile back and responds.
I try to get along with everyone… that is, until they rub me the wrong way… then I tend to become fairly judgemental. I don’t believe I hold grudges, but sometimes I find I cannot forget a trespass. I may forgive, but I don’t think I forget… but let me get back to you on this cos I haven’t really figured it out myself.
So this has been on my mind recently… am I superficial and pretentious? I try to get along with a lot of people but do I get close to people? Take the old man for example… anyone who knows me would automatically assume that we’re really close and best of buddies and all… which is sort of true… we’re really close… but yet… there are a lot of things which I don’t tell him. There’s so much about me which he doesn’t know… maybe it’s a guy thing… somethings we just don’t talk about among close friends, we just accept ourselves and never bring it up unless necessary?
Take seahorse for example… he’s known for years now that we used to be seeing each other, but he never really heard it directly from me. When it ended, he merely accepted that it ended and we carried on. He was affected by the fallout and I'm sure he misses her company as well, but he didn't harp on it. Only last week, after so long, when I finally told him of the circumstances around the split that he truly realized what had happened. You could see the reactions as actions and words from the past fell into place and the understanding finally settled in. Or maybe he was just being a good friend by not probing or meddling into the issues unless I spoke about it. I think there’s something for me to learn here…



<< Home