Jungle expectations
Several years ago, Leen & our close buddies went to Taman Negara in Pahang. As I’d just joined this company and could not get away, I stayed behind with the intention of going at the next best opportunity. I finally made good on that intent in early September 2006.It was a departmental team building and away weekend trip, but I’m pretty sure we covered pretty much most of what Taman Negara had to offer for weekend visitors. I’d have to say though, that my expectation was perhaps a little high. I expected to be going to an isolated mosquito and leech infested environment with basic amenities and far away from civilization. Instead we found ourselves at a supposed 5-star resort within a stone’s throw from town, my cellphone never lost signal and just across the river, we could hear the satellite TVs broadcasting the weekend’s football matches.
With team building activities planned by the committee for pretty much all 3 days, we ended up being pretty focused on our events and I have to say we didn’t come across too many wildlife outside the resort. It doesn’t surprise me though, as all I could hear during the canopy walk up in the trees were the sounds of outboard motors from the boats on the river, or the noisy chatter coming from the nature hides provided for observing wildlife at night. City folk… *sheesh*While it was fun with several jungle hikes, a cave exploration and a visit to the rapids, it was a very easy going weekend away. Certainly not the rough and tumble jungle expedition to Belum which Su went for the week before. But adrenaline was pumped, expectations high and our adventurelust not entirely sated. Perhaps as grand plans go, maybe a camping expedition to Tahan or at least a fishing expedition is now on the cards. Hmmm… City kid, beach bum with grand jungle hiking and mountain climbing plans… rite. Grand plans, ya.



<< Home