Thursday, September 29, 2005

Life… the soap-opera reality show

I used to laugh and scoff at American day-time soap operas. Ditto with the Hong Kong melodramatic serials. Sometimes it makes me wonder, who the hell thinks of stuff like these? Do these amazing situations, affairs and relationship circus really happen in real life?

You know, the types like… A is seeing B, but B is in love with C. C doesn’t care or doesn’t know B exists. D loves A but leaves home with a broken heart and disappears from the face of the earth. A begins an affair with E and F has a fall and is paralysed for life.

Stuff like these have certain people glued to the idiot box or they become so obsessed with it that their lives evolve around being there to watch the latest episode. They would kill just to find out if F has miraculously healed and is now bonking D whom the aliens returned after shoving countless probes up where the sun doesn’t shine. And on the first run too... no re-runs, heaven forbid.

But I was having lunch with one of the Princes recently and we were talking about our lives and close friends and stuff. It turns out that our little circle of life seems to have a pretty decent soap-opera quality! Between the few of us, (I won’t name names or highlight nicknames to protect the innocent, ok?) we’ve pretty much seen marriage, affairs, separations, divorces, re-cycling of lovers, death of lovers (well, wife), swapping of lovers, forbidden love, angst, tormented love, best friend syndromes (you know, the end up sleeping together kind), friend syndromes (the I love him/her so much, but he/she just wants to be friends kind), walk outs, inter-racial relationships, one night stands, getting high on drugs, getting pregnant out of wedlock, abortions… it’s endless… and gosh… our average age is still well below 40!

It turns out life around us is pretty much a soap opera and it’s kinda exciting. Now I think I’m hooked and am looking forward to the next episode to find out what’s coming next… something new or a re-hash of some of the above… hey, maybe a new character will appear. And it'll have a tag line too… “Life… the soap-opera reality show”… *hahahaha*


Yup, I’ve lost the plot yet again…

counter statistics Free Website Counter