Manual transmission... i like!
Wednesday. Somehow, for some unknown reason, it’s the midweek party nite. Don’t know why, but it’s been like that for years now. Clubs and bars are somehow pretty happening on Wednesdays.
So, with DC in town, us boys went out for a little bit of mischief. We ended up at The Gathering, our regular bar with me & J meeting up with DC and his company for the nite. Once again Mabel’s not there. Must be DC. Of all the times we’ve been there together, Mabel’s either away sick, it’s her alternate day off or she’s simply away on holiday as was the case this time.
Once again, I got myself into a spot of trouble. I’d gone to the bar in J’s car, but by the end, this little minx was asking me to send her home. Boys being boys, DC passes me his car keys… wtf? Couldn't say no after that... But one of these days, someone needs to explain to me why people seem to ask me to send them home fairly often... even when I said I didn't drive? Btw, I'm actually not oblivious to why, I just can't understand it, am I giving the wrong signals? Why doesn't the ones I like get this signal???
Anyway, it turned out to be my highlight of the night… ok, pay attention here, don't draw any conclusions yet. You paying attention? Good, here goes... I’ve not driven a manual transmission since my university days, more than a decade ago! Now, I’ve got the keys to a 1.8L Ford Laser. DC’s got his car pretty well maintained and the engine feels good and strong. It felt great, shifting and powering down the LDP at 3am. My ultimate driving machine gets up to the same speed and has better controls but being an automatic, it just feels different.
Shifting down and powering out of corners on a manual transmission just gives that little extra kick automatic cars don’t have. I think I had DC worried for a bit when I mentioned to him over the phone that his car feels great at speed. And with my propensity to fly down highways, he was duly worried. On a side note, for driving instructions when you come across me & my ultimate driving machine, click here. Heh, not what you expected, huh? But it was my highlight of the night... ;-)
After dropping her off, meeting up with the boys again for some food, it’s time to head back and watch Chelsea vs. Liverpool in the Champions League. Damn, that referee must have been blind. He denied Liverpool a penalty twice. In the end, it was a good game by Liverpool. They earned a point and still top the group. Cool, but damn, it's already almost 5am on a Thursday morning... gotta head to work in a few hours! Anyways, hopefully Liverpool steps up and beat Chelsea when they meet again this Sunday in the English Premier League. Wishful thinking? Better not be.. Goooo Liverpool!



<< Home