Friday, October 28, 2005

Mythical Seahorse tee-shirt

I came home today and found another surprise waiting for me on my driveway. This time it's not from some anonymous sender. I got a tee-shirt from Singapore. Thanks Addie *muaks*. I promise, I'm gonna visit again soon... ;-)

It's a tee from divejunkie with a seahorse motif. This seahorse looks ready to kick ass and take names! With the tee was a tab describing the mythical seahorse.


Mythical Seahorse
Seahorses belong to the genus called hippocampus. Hippos coming from the Greeks, meaning 'horse' and Kampos, means 'sea monster'.

In early Greek civilisation, Greek poets wrote about legendary sea-gods riding on mythical half-horse, half fish creatures called hippocampi. Ancient Greek art portrayed these seahorses as large fearful and armour-clad monsters with wings.

How's that for the reputation of the humble seahorse?


Actually if you recall, I love Greek mythology, but they've always been focused on the major gods and heroes. I think it's time to dig a little bit more on these armour-clad seahorses. Other than the comic Aquaman, I must admit, I've not come across any stories of these. Of course there's the story about dolphins, but it's late and I can't recall it. Where's that book of mine...

Oh yeah, I checked this out too.. it's a nice site.


www.divejunkie.com.sg
"As much as humans have the right to admire the oceans, we must keep in mind not to destroy the underwater habitat while doing so."

Further Greek myths on seahorses and dolphins will have to wait.. I've gotta go pack.. I'm going sailing off Borneo over the weekend... woohoo, holiday!

counter statistics Free Website Counter