Writing is therapeutic... really?
Someone once told me that writing was therapeutic and that I should try it. I’ve always resisted, as I was never really the writing type. Well, now that I’ve tried it, I gotta say, it’s not all that it’s been made out to be.
When I really think about it, I’ve actually tried writing many years before. Not in the journalistic manner or in poetic verses. It wasn’t a journal either… I mean c’mon, guys don’t normally keep journals, aight? Anyways back then my attempts at writing were normally along the lines of short stories. But I can’t remember what exactly… besides, even if I did recall, you didn’t think I’d reveal it didja?
I’m digressing again. Writing’s supposedly therapeutic. Well maybe to some, after all, bloggers have been stereotyped (perhaps only by me) as a bunch of folks living with a lot of issues. Bloggers are supposedly an angry bunch with stuff to get off their chest, angst to relieve, a whistle to blow, depression to deal with… or just plain genuine anger at something. They supposedly write what they feel in their hearts when they’re angry, upset or something.
Well, I can’t say I share this sentiment. I just realized over the weekend that I can’t write when I’m upset or depressed or just simply feeling down. I find when I’m in this emotional state, I seem to switch off… my mind blanks out… it’s amazing, time goes by and I have no recollection of what I was thinking about or what I’d done.
Over the weekend, I’d been feeling rather crummy and just didn’t feel like socializing or being around people. So I decided to stay home and just laze around, surf the net and maybe post a blog or something. I think I managed maybe 2 sentences? Nothing else… I just couldn’t form sentences… words refused to come. Therapeutic? It was stressful! It took me 4 days to write about the Watergames over the weekend and that is a crappy post if you ask me… just bloody got no character, la.
So, I can’t understand it when folks say bloggers have so much to say and say it best when they’re a depressed, angry and upset at the world or about something they ate or the way the wind blew… I just don’t get it. I guess I’m not much of a blogger cos it just doesn’t do it for me. I can’t write when I have issues… so how is it that it’s therapeutic?
You want therapy and writing also doesn’t do it for you? Try music. When I’m in a crummy emotional state, I shut everything and everybody out and withdraw to my music. Music therapy… that’s how I deal with issues. I guess that’s why I listen to such a wide variety of music. Whenever people asked what type of music I’m into, I could never give them a straight answer, cos I listen to almost everything and anything that my mood feels like at that point in time.
Which brings me back to being crummy over the weekend… so I turned to music therapy but couldn't find something suitable. I realized it’s time to visit my local music store. I need some new CDs, but I think I spend too much on CDs. I thought about giving this music downloading a try, but I got no fricking broadband at home… besides, I gotta be PC and say no to piracy… uh-huh… rite…



<< Home